As the weather starts to slowly warm up in spring and the sun shines more, some pests will begin making their presence known on your SC property. Which springtime pests should you be keeping an eye out for? You might need Hilton Head area pest control if you see any of the following common spring pests:
Common Early Springtime Pests in SC
Which pests are out and about during the early part of spring? There are a number of insect pests and other pests that come out of hiding looking for food and sex in the spring. These include:
Cockroaches and ants: These pests can invade your pantry and any other part of your home where they’re able to find crumbs or other food sources. Since they can spread germs, you’ll need Hilton Head area pest control to get rid of them.
Rodents: Mice, rats and other rodents are more active when it gets warmer out. These rodents also come around looking for food sources, which can lead them to your kitchen. Keep in mind that these rodents can cause damage to your home and spread germs.
Flies and gnats: These pests can contaminate your food supplies and become a nuisance when they get into your home. They buzz around your home searching for food or hang out near your drains.
Stinging insects: Bees, hornets and wasps can begin to fly around looking for food or nectar in early spring if it’s warm enough. Some of these bugs can deliver painful stings, and these pests can be dangerous for those who are allergic to them.
Ticks and fleas: These biting pests can be a threat to you and your pets. Ticks can spread diseases through their bites, including Lyme disease. Fleas can cause allergic reactions in some pets when they bite.
Mosquitoes: These insects start looking for humans to feed on, so that they can lay their eggs. Mosquitoes can spread West Nile virus and other illnesses when they feed on people, so it’s important to have professional Hilton Head area pest control done to keep them out of your home and off of your SC property.
Spring Pest Prevention Tips
If you take some steps toward pest prevention, you might not need to handle any pest infestations this spring. To keep these pests at bay, you should do the following:
1. Do a thorough cleaning: Keeping your home and yard as clean as possible can discourage bugs and other pests from staying around. These pests come out in search of food, so preventing them from finding food means they have to find it somewhere else.
2. Eliminate leaks and standing water: Mosquitoes need standing water for their eggs to hatch, while cockroaches and other pests are attracted to leaks that provide them with water. Fixing leaks and emptying standing water in any objects in your yard can keep these pests away.
3. Store food properly: Keep your food stored in airtight containers that pests can’t get into. This includes pet food, which cockroaches, ants and other bugs feed on.
4. Close up gaps and holes: Use caulk to seal gaps, cracks and other openings that pests of all sizes can use to get into your home. Pay close attention to window and door screens, which can develop tears.
5. Schedule routine pest control: Having regular Hilton Head area pest control services done can lower your risk of having pest infestations.
6. Take care of your yard: You can keep ticks, fleas and other spring pests at bay by mowing your lawn, trimming bushes and shrubs and keeping tree branches away from your home’s exterior.
If you’re dealing with early spring pests, Island Pest Control can help. We offer Hilton Head area pest control for cockroaches, mosquitoes, ants and other common springtime pests.