13 Sep Interesting Facts About SC Chiggers
If there’s one pest your Hilton Head exterminators come into contact with frequently, it’s chiggers. Chiggers aren’t insects, but mites. They’re usually red in color, but some may be orange, yellow or even straw colored.
How much do you know about SC chiggers? Are they a pest you should beware of? We’re here to help you learn more.
Interesting Facts About Chiggers in South Carolina
There’s probably a lot you don’t know about chiggers. For instance, did you know that:
• Only the larval form of these mites will actually bite humans?
• Adult female chiggers can lay as many as five eggs every day?
• Chiggers are attracted to carbon dioxide, much like bed bugs?
• These pests will head toward places on the body where clothing is tight?
• Chiggers will pierce the skin, and release a skin dissolving liquid before feeding?
• You can be attacked by a single chigger for as long as three days before it pulls off?
What Happens When You Are Bitten by a Chigger?
When a chigger larvae bites you, the itching is intense. However, it might not start right away. Most people don’t feel anything for up to three hours. This means a chigger gets to spend a lot of time feeding before you even know it’s there.
If you discover a chigger on your body, immediately take a bath. The soap will kill them. After that, it’s a good idea to talk with your doctor about treating the bites. He or she may want to prescribe an antibiotic ointment to help with the itching.
How Can Your Hilton Head Exterminators Help With Your Chigger Problem?
Chiggers are very small, so they’re tricky to see with the naked eye. It can be helpful to have a professional inspection done. That’s where your Hilton Head exterminators come in. We can easily detect these pests and help you get rid of them quickly.
Contact us today to learn more!