Rats can be a common sight outdoors when it’s warm out in SC. Unfortunately, as the temperatures start to drop, you have a higher chance of spotting these rodents inside your home or business. Keep the following information on rats in mind in case you end up needing Hilton Head rat control services this fall or winter.
Types of Rats
There are many different types of rats found throughout the world. In the Hilton Head area, you’re most likely to see brown rats and black rats. These rats are larger than mice and typically have smaller ears and more pointed snouts. Brown and black rats in SC can grow to be up to five times bigger than house mice, which makes them easier to notice if they get inside buildings.
Rat Behavior in Fall
Rats try not to spend the cold winter months outdoors unless they have to. These pests often look for a warm and safe place to stay during winter, which can lead them to building interiors. When they find somewhere to go, they can make themselves at home and build a nest in wall cavities and other areas of homes and businesses. Since they don’t normally hibernate in winter, you’ll still see them moving around looking for food and water if they get into your building.
Problems with Rats
Rats are known for eating almost anything they come across. When they get into your home, this means that they put your entire food supply at risk of contamination. Keep in mind that this also includes pet food. Rats leave urine and droppings behind while they roam around in search of food indoors, which can lead to infections or illnesses if you’re exposed to them. These rodents can also bite and transmit infectious diseases through their saliva. Their gnawing behavior can also cause damage to your home, especially if they get inside walls to build nests.
Signs of Rats
How can you tell if you need Hilton Head rat control services at your home or business? There are a number of different signs you should watch for as the weather gets cooler. These include the following:
– Droppings: You can find these small, dark droppings anywhere that rats go when they get inside your home or business. Check along walls, as well as inside cupboards and cabinets. You might also find droppings in bags and boxes.
– Nests: Rats make their nests from paper, fabric, grass and other soft materials. You might find these nests in crevices or other small, hidden spaces that these rodents can squeeze into.
– Tooth marks: When rats gnaw, they often leave tooth marks behind. They typically chew on wood, but they can also gnaw on other items in buildings, including wiring.
– Paw tracks: Rats leave paw tracks and tail marks in dusty areas as they move around. These tracks are usually up to an inch on average.
– Torn food packaging: As rats invade kitchens, they typically chew open food packaging. Finding boxes or other packaging that are torn or nibbled on can indicate a rat problem.
– Noises: You might be able to tell if you have rats from the noises they make. Rats squeak and make rustling sounds as they run around.
Dealing with Rats in SC
Having a rat problem handled as early as possible helps reduce the risk of dealing with a major rat infestation. Hilton Head rat control services from professional technicians can help ensure that you have these rodents removed from your home or business. You can prevent them from coming back by sealing up cracks and openings and cleaning up crumbs and other food particles.
If you need Hilton Head rat control services for your home or business, please contact Island Pest Control. Our licensed pest control technicians have the training and experience needed for safely dealing with rat problems.