Mosquitoes may seem like the most benign of all the pests in the world, but they cause a lot of harm. There are several mosquito-borne illnesses, and some can be fatal if left untreated. If you have a mosquito problem, it’s best to not ignore it. Mosquito treatments are essential to keep the population under control.
Let’s talk about what some of these mosquito-borne illnesses are.
Did you know more than 1 million people die each year because of mosquitoes and the diseases they cause? Some of these include:
- Malaria: Malaria is a disease that has been around a long time. Cases are still being discovered in Europe.
- Chikungunya: This illness causes a great deal of pain, and there is no vaccine for it. Symptoms can persist for weeks.
- Dog Heartworm: This disease can be life threatening for dogs. Mosquitoes carry the larvae of the worm, and can infect your dog with one bite.
- Denge: This illness has a low mortality rate, but there have been deaths in the United States in recent years.
- Yellow Fever: This has become much more prevalent in recent years. It occurs mostly in tropical areas in the U.S.
- Eastern Equine Encephalitis: This disease can be spread to both horses and humans, causing severe symptoms, and even death.
- St. Louis Encephalitis: This disease is spread from birds to humans through mosquitoes.
- LaCrosse Encephalitis: There are about 90 cases of this disease reported each year because of mosquitoes.
- Western Equine Encephalitis: This disease is less common for humans, but it can affect horses.
- West Nile Virus: This disease is prevalent in the U.S. because of mosquitoes.
- Zika Virus: This disease begins with mild symptoms that progress in their severity.
The Importance of Professional Mosquito Control
The best way to protect yourself against these diseases is to opt for mosquito control that will take care of the problem. We can help you. Contact us today.